GRAHAM been awarded the contract to build the new Baird & Anchor project at the Foresterhill Health Campus with the construction phase due to start in early 2021.
The construction firm is looking to recruit an Apprentice Site Engineer, with the job description surmised below, as well as an Apprentice Quantity Surveyor which can be viewed here.
Job Title: Apprentice Site Engineer
Reporting to: Project Manager/ Site Engineer
Location: Aberdeen – NHS Grampian Baird & Anchor project
Contract type: Permanent
Benefits: Pension, private medical cover, life assurance scheme
Summary: As the GRAHAM business continues to grow and develop, they are looking for enthusiastic individuals for the role of an Apprentice Site Engineer. The successful candidate will be based at the Baird & Anchor project providing support to our existing Site Management.
Successful candidates will study at college/university for a qualification in Civil Engineering. There may be a requirement for block release at college. In addition, you will work towards a vocational qualification to compliment experience being gained on site.
As a large main contractor with coverage across the UK a feature of the role will be to work on projects that will mean an element of staying away from home in temporary accommodation (provided by the company) to suit the business needs as and when. The role may also involve working unsociable hours and the candidate should be flexible on working hours and arrangements.
The Apprentice Site Engineer shall assist the Site Management team to:
- Undertake Surveying and setting out duties
- Assist in scheduling of materials
- Liaise with any consultant
- Supervise and monitor the site labour force and monitor the work of any sub-contractors
- Ensure Health, Safety and Environmental requirements are adhered to
- Undertake the testing and calibration of instruments used
- Arrange testing of materials as per PQP
- Where appropriate contribute to the resolution of technical problems that may arise
- Keep a Site Diary – Site Filing
- Liaise with other team members and disciplines
- Ensure quality records necessary to meet PQP are collated and maintained
- Organise site operations
- Monitor Programme
- Interact with other members of the construction site team
- Assist or perform other duties as deemed necessary
This job description is intended to give the post holder an appreciation of the role envisaged for the Apprentice Site Engineer and the range of duties to be undertaken. It does not attempt to detail every activity. Specific tasks and objectives will be agreed with the post holder at regular intervals.
Technical competencies - Essential:
- Demonstrate a strong desire for the role
- Demonstrate an ability to work on own initiative
- Demonstrate strong communication skills and flexibility in working locations
- Minimum NC in Civil Engineering or
- Two Higher passes or
- One relevant Higher pass and a range of National 5s or intermediate 2’s/Standard Grades
- An A level pass in Maths, Physics or a technical subject
- Knowledge of the Construction Industry
- Experience within the Construction / Civil Industry
- Relevant Civil Engineering H&S competencies
Behavioural Competencies - Essential:
Commercial Awareness: a willingness to gain an understanding of business acumen combined with the creativity and vision to meet customer needs and GRAHAM business requirements.
Leadership skills: Communicates and gets involved in team commitment.
Effective Communication skills: Able to adapt communication to audience and create detailed written documents and reports. Able to maintain and manage communication links with a variety of stakeholders. Presents a professional image and promotes the Brand.
Customer Focus: Takes time to question and understand the real, underlying needs of the customer, beyond those initially expressed. Always works closely with customers, developing an independent view of their needs and acting in their long-term interest.
Influencing: displays an attitude of someone who can be developed to Identify and build relationships with those who will be useful now and in the future in achieving strategic business objectives.
Initiative: Able to work alone to get results in an effective way. Understands and seeks to minimise waste in resources and processes. Adopts and encourages others to adopt new ways of working. Ability to work unsupervised and/or with minimal supervision after an initial training period
Team Player: Always willing to be involved in other activities to achieve company objectives. Works collaboratively and uses influence to gain resolution of issues. Demonstrates honestly, loyalty and commitment.
For more information or to apply for the role, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your CV and covering letter.